> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Mowers
Login | Register

Posted by Henry In MI--Great Lakes Moderator on July 10th, 2001 11:48 PM
In reply to Lawn Mowers by Laurie on July 9th, 2001 01:28 PM [Go to top of thread]

Laurie, storage of your mower is another issue to consider. I have a shed that is about a foot and a half above the ground at floor level and it's not hard for me or the kids to lift a mower in or out but it could be for you. For what it's worth, we did real well by buying a $100 (now $160 or so) Sears mower and throwing a tarp over it when the mower had cooled. I still got 4-5 years use out of a mower which translates to $40-50 bucks a season in mower cost except gasoline. How nice I was to the mower as far as a new spark plug every year or so and oil changes were also cost factors and once rust got a good foothold it could progress pretty quickly. But we valued play equipment, swings and such, and a good kids lawn with interesting bugs and such as more important than a garage to them.

Our 2 across-the-street neighbors have beautiful sodded lawns and they both have electric mowers and mow the grass daily, the only "workout" they or their lawns get except for the walk to the convenience store to get lottery tickets. The neighbors, not the lawns, buying the tickets, of course. But with this much mowing, we appreciate the consideration of the quiet mowers.

Reel mowers do not always work as well on days when it's 100 degrees in the shade, except they ain't no shade, as they do in the mower shop in springtime. Heat expands things. If you adjust for hotter temps, the cutting will be ragged in the fall. This is true with either people powered or motor powered reel-type mowers. Pushing a reel-type mower ranks second only to plowing with a mule in the worst job category but only because the view is better but control is worse with the push mower.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC