> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > moving (cutting?) existing gas pipe
Login | Register

moving (cutting?) existing gas pipe

Posted by Tim in WI on February 7th, 2003 11:21 PM

2 of 4 people found this post helpful

I'm finishing my basement and need to move 1" black gas pipe. To unattach the section I need to remove I see two possibilities:

1) Disconnect the pipe starting at the meter outside and work my way in. (The section I need to move is the first section as it comes into the house.)

2) Cut through the pipe.

My concern is that I am not sure if it is wise to cut through gas pipe, even after the gas has been shut off at the meter and the gas pressure inside the pipe has been released. If it is ok to cut, this would make my project much easier.

Also, what is the best way to purge or release the gas pressure once the gas has been shut off at the main valve? Can I just open up one end to release the pressure or should I open up two ends and hook up a vacuum cleaner to one end to get some air flow through the pipe?

One more question...Once the pipe is all hooked back up, what is the best way to purge the air in the pipe? Is it safe to just turn appliances on? Should I open up and end of the pipe, for example, by the furnace, after the gas is turned on again but before I fire up the furnace...and then as soon as I smell gas close the end by the furnace? If this is needed for the furnace, does it also need to be done for the water heater separately to make sure any air is purged from the branch lines?

Thank you very much for any advice you can give me.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC