> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > mothballs in attic odor problem
Login | Register

mothballs in attic odor problem

Posted by Lia on September 23rd, 1999 02:26 PM

I was having problems with squirrels getting into my attic. I have to deal with the homeowner's association (they're very slow) to patch the holes through which the squirrels are coming in. In the meantime, my dad suggested buying a box of mothballs, and tossing them around up in the attic to keep the squirrels out. I did this. The squirrels are staying away but my whole house now reeks of mothballs. Because they are all tossed around in the insulation up there (I was pretty thorough, unfortunately), it would be impossible to find and remove them.

I think I probably have inadequate ventilation in the attic. I plan to get more ventilation and an exhaust fan installed, but can't do that for about 3 more weeks. Does anyone know of anyway I can lessen the smell of the mothballs in the meantime (besides opening all the windows, etc. I have been doing that but I'm in Colorado and it's already getting cold at night and will be cold all day very shortly -- can't leave the windows open then). It's just awful!

Also, does anyone know approximately how long it takes mothballs to dissipate when exposed to a moderate amount of air (like what's in my attic)?

Thanks for any help at all.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC