renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > most folks on the forem will advise against it
Login | Register

most folks on the forem will advise against it

Posted by LJ in TX on November 27th, 2002 07:02 AM
In reply to painting formica countertops by vicki on November 27th, 2002 06:53 AM [Go to top of thread]

go to this google.com search page to find lots of suggestions and opinions on your proposal.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=painting+formica+counters

here is a cut and paste from one of the sites listed there... good luck LJ

Refinishing Formica
I've heard of painting Formica-type countertops and seen the results on some television "re-do your kitchen" shows. Is this feasible for do-it-your-own-bad-selfers and what type of paint is used?

This is really just supposed to be temporary as it does not make a good food safe surface.

You need to first wash with TSP to remove grease and grime. Sand using a 120 grit sandpaper or liquid sand will also work. Apply a good quality primer made for ADHESION like Bin by Zinsser or Sherwin Williams Anchor Bond.
Then paint with a good semi-gloss enamel in oil or latex. Some paints like Gliddens Melamine does not require a surface sealer while some regular latex paints will.
If you do intend to apply a sealer an acrylic would be best as it does not yellow.
Make sure you have cutting boards in that area and if you have small children I would replace instead at a cost of approx. $8 a linear foot.

Refinishing Formica
I've heard of painting Formica-type countertops and seen the results on some television "re-do your kitchen" shows. Is this feasible for do-it-your-own-bad-selfers and what type of paint is used?

This is really just supposed to be temporary as it does not make a good food safe surface.

You need to first wash with TSP to remove grease and grime. Sand using a 120 grit sandpaper or liquid sand will also work. Apply a good quality primer made for ADHESION like Bin by Zinsser or Sherwin Williams Anchor Bond.
Then paint with a good semi-gloss enamel in oil or latex. Some paints like Gliddens Melamine does not require a surface sealer while some regular latex paints will.
If you do intend to apply a sealer an acrylic would be best as it does not yellow.
Make sure you have cutting boards in that area and if you have small children I would replace instead at a cost of approx. $8 a linear foot.

and here is a cut and paste from one of the sites:

Refinishing Formica

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC