> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More Thoughts ...
Login | Register

More Thoughts ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on July 21st, 2001 10:11 AM
In reply to Concrete Slab Flooring by Concerned on July 20th, 2001 09:22 PM [Go to top of thread]

HI Concerned,

As far as adding and renovating, it depends on the renovation.

If you want to add a basement, forget it. If you want to add NEXT to the house, probably no problem (but you'd have to talk to a Contractor/Architect first to see if it's feasible.) As far as building UP (on the existing slab&foundation), I can't say. Talk to a Contractor/Architect.

Carpeting can be tacked to concrete but it's not as easy as attaching it to a wooden 'substrate'. (Tack-strips are usually nailed, but w/concrete, it's a slightly different process.) For details, talk to a Carpet Installer. The linoleum is glued to the concrete. If you were to remove it, the remaining glue residue that's left on the concrete will make the floor UNEVEN (just for starters.) You can basically forget trying to remove all of it.

IF the home still has your interest, then get that Home Inspection and ask him these questions. EVEN if he tells you nothing but 'bad news', at least you spent $300+ for GOOD advice. Down the road, it could cost you FAR more than $300 for a 'fix' or an 'install'. I wish you well.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC