> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > more thoughts...
Login | Register

more thoughts...

Posted by Cory on September 20th, 2000 08:59 AM
In reply to another twist on kitchen cabinet refinishing by Cory on September 19th, 2000 04:00 PM [Go to top of thread]

To be sure I was clear, it's the cabinets and not the countertop that I want to dye. I'm doing a new solid-surface countertop at the same time.

Now, am I to understand that I can expect to have problems on the dyed cabinets when using a cleaner that contains bleach; even after a poly-varnish finsh has been applied? Are there other staining products that can achieve the black effect I am looking for? I've seen the effect on furniture, but can't seem to find anyone that can/will tell me how it was done.

On the issue of dark corners; I understand that, and am considering the use of a low voltage light source inside the cabinets.

On the shelves showing dust and debris, I have also thought of that and intend to fully cover the top of each shelf with a removable/replaceable liner (then clean often and live with a certain amount of it).

The dramatic look of the oak grain in black is worth some degree of inconvenience but not to the level of having to stay up nights worrying about whether the cabinets are still black. Actually, I could probably live with it myself, but this will likely be a rental in a few years and it's not likely that others will be as careful as I.

Thanks so much for your input so far. I have a bit more to think about.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• cabinets by Henry in MI  9/20/00 05:29 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC