> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More Thoughts ...
Login | Register

More Thoughts ...

Posted by Jay J on August 30th, 2000 01:16 PM
In reply to Keeping Mice Out by Lisa on August 30th, 2000 11:52 AM [Go to top of thread]

Even if you can borrow a cat, that would be good. Be sure it isn't declawed.

Also, on a sunny day, if you turn off the lights in the basement and 'plug up' any windows, you should look for places where the sun might shine in. There is Expandable Foam at the Home Centers for such gaps. There are 2 types that I'm aware of: 1) low expandable foam and 2) high expandable foam. Read the cans on BOTH products to see how/where they're used. What you have to be careful of is using the foam in places like door jams and window moldings. If the foam is 'powerful' enough (like the HIGH foam is), it can 'wedge' the material so you can't open/close the door/window! This is why you want to read about BOTH types of foam BEFORE you leave the store. I've got the feeling you're gonna get just the low foam anyways but it wouldn't hurt to educate yourself a little more.

In the meantime, keep setting the traps. As the others have suggested, wear rubber gloves or work with the trap whilst your hand is inside a plastic bag, or something similiar, like plastic wrap. Peanut butter and bacon, I hear, are good baits. And look around for nests. Look inside anything that has an 'opening' or IS open for 'stuff' that's been chewed or shredded. Don' hesitate to go inside the entire box, or whatever. Buy yourself a pair of Electrical Lineman Gloves while you're doing this. (YOu may 'hit' an adult or find babies.) Also, the type of material they use for nests is stuff like string, toilet paper, dryer lint, newspaper, dried grass, rag pieces, and so on.

The BIG test will be this Fall. That's when the little buggers come in from the cold, and take up residence until the Spring. And by then, they MAY go outside unless they've found a food source inside! (In which case, they aren't going anywhere!)

Place your traps along walls and studs. Look for 'droppings' to help guide you. Set them in pairs with the food-end 'facing each other'. Put them in dark locations too. Check them once a day, and don't hesitate to 'load up' on the traps. Remember, use gloves and carry a 'bag' with you. If you're a bit queezy, draft your hubby! My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC