> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More thoughts
Login | Register

More thoughts

Posted by Henry in MI on November 4th, 2000 04:27 AM
In reply to bowed studs by bc on November 3rd, 2000 10:00 AM [Go to top of thread]

How is this for a "I learned from this" story. I bought some studs from a home center. I picked the best that I could find and brought them home about a week before I had a chance to frame the walls. During that time, they warped to about twice as much as they were out of straight in the store.

Since I didn't want to go to the trouble of fighting them, I went to a local lumber yard to see about replacements. Their studs were outside and just covered to keep the rain off. The old guy at the local yard said to keep them outside until I was ready to frame so I just left them on the covered porch for another week.

The new studs were still nice and straight on the saturday when I build the walls and installed them. The walls laid up really nice and there was not a bowed stud in the bunch. Since they were nailed in place, they didn't get a chance to move, I guess. I used the bowed studs from the home center for some other projects that did not need as much straight length. The old guy at the yard told me that bringing lumber inside before you are ready to use it causes the problem and I sure believe him now. He said that when the home centers bring the lifts inside and cut the bands that they start moving and after they have been inside for a couple of weeks they are all bowed. Guess where I buy my studs now.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC