> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More Than Just Some 'Hints' ...
Login | Register

More Than Just Some 'Hints' ...

Posted by Jay J on January 26th, 2000 12:57 PM
In reply to Replacing a lenolium kitchen floor with ceramic tile by Christine on January 26th, 2000 12:27 PM [Go to top of thread]

Go to Hometime Projects, and click Ceramic Tile. You'll get more info than you care but it's very useful.

A couple of things I want to add ... If you install right over what you currently have, your floor will be about 1" higher than it is now. Check to see if this will cause any 'transition' problems with any doorways (with doors) or any doorways into other rooms. You may have to rip up what you have to make use of the rough construction.

If the room below the kitchen is not heated, the floor will be cold. There are warm floor systems to consider in this situation. Also, if you drop almost ANYTHING, it will either break, or chip the tile. And if the subfloor construction is 'marginal', you may have separation between your tiles from movement of the floor. If you have a concrete slab, to me, that's the best of all cases to install a tile floor. (It won't move AND it's conducive to installing a warm floor system.) My unsolicited $.02 is to say to go out and look at top-of-the-line vinyl flooring. There's some real nice stuff out there. They have wear-through material now so the prints don't 'rub off' like they use to. And the durability is very good. If you have kids growing up, you'll be glad you have vinyl.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC