> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More rethinking (this time me)
Login | Register

More rethinking (this time me)

Posted by tomh on April 13th, 2003 07:08 PM
In reply to installing fan by Ed Kim on April 13th, 2003 06:52 PM [Go to top of thread]

Truth is, I have had a number of showers that didn't utilize an exhaust fan. Certainly helps, but no reason that you can't open the window once in a while, just takes some diligence. The presence of a window allows for construction without a fan in most code books. You are right that the brick wall complicates matters. Its not insurmountalbe, but under the circumstances I probably would have done the same thing.

One clue I didn't pick up on before is that the soft wall is above the window. Also, this is a brick exterior wall. Take a look to see if moisture could be entering from outside at this location (gutter and overhang condition). If the problem was related to the shower and bath, I would expect the problem to be more wide-spread. The problem could be more related to how the window is sealed inside or outside than surface treatments.

No question you will need to air-out the room and prep the surface for re-painting, but your contractor may be of assistance in troubleshooting this. It sounds like he did everything right, and I suspect that given the right approach he could be helpful in resolving this a new(?) problem.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC