> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More on Suede, and a Link for "Faux" techniques...
Login | Register

More on Suede, and a Link for "Faux" techniques...

Posted by Kathy on November 27th, 2000 07:51 PM
In reply to Suede paint by Henry in MI on November 26th, 2000 04:13 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Liz,
My limited experience with R.L. paint has not been bad. I used Suede paint in my master bedroom 3 years ago with no trouble at all, and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. However, in your situation, I agree with Henry that your walls should appear unified and R.L. Suede is probably not the best choice. Due to the various surfaces you have, and the fact that Suede has a distinct pattern unto itself, applying it to drywall, paneling and/or brick will get you three entirely different looks that might not tie together well. Also, the suede paint is a flat paint, and therefore not the easiest to clean. It's best used in a room where there is minimal chance of the walls getting easily marked, especially by little ones.

It sounds like you have a lovely room, and there are lots of economical ways to get a textured look without specifically using R.L. paint. Leaving the brick as is can be an asset. Depending on what you do with the remaining walls and decorative accessories, you can go for looks from 'rustic lodge' to 'colonial New England'. If finances allow, remove the paneling and replace with drywall so you have a more uniform 'canvas' to start with. Then you can do a variety of techniques (rag rolling, sponging, etc), with paints more easily washable. An example: you can use low luster (eggshell or satin) paint that will have minimal sheen but still clean much better than the flat Suede. Using two to three shades of the same color with a ragging technique will get a finished look very similar to R.L. Suede. Here's a link you can have some fun with at "Faux Like a Pro". You can enter different colors you like, type of paint (semi-gloss, etc.), texture you want, and you'll get an idea of what a room will look like with the choices you've made.

Faux painting has become so popular, you can pop in any local paint store and pick up brochures to get easy ideas for different looks. Best wishes!Kathy

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC