> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More On Grout Repair ...
Login | Register

More On Grout Repair ...

Posted by Jay J on September 22nd, 1999 09:14 AM
In reply to Grout Repair by Dave Goldberg on September 21st, 1999 10:27 PM [Go to top of thread]

It's real easy to slip and do damage to your tiles if you're using a grout saw and haven't used one before. I've seen pros do accidental damage and MANY near-accidental damage to tiles when using this type of power tool. Just an FYI. If you'd like to try it, then see if you can rent one instead of buying one. Once you knick your first tile, you'll know how hard/easy it is to use. Just a heads up ...

There is a hand-held grout saw that will take some time on a 25' island. I used this tool in 2 medium sized bathrooms for the walls AND the floors. It's about 3-$5 if I recall in any of the Home Centers. You can read a can of Grout and see what they recommend for proper depth. I suggest you get a grout that's been pre-treated with a sealer. It's cheaper to buy a grout and do the sealing later but, again, I think it's best left to the pros on this. (I don't mean to knock your desires but if you're asking the type of question you're asking, you're not familiar with the basics which are there for protection.) The grout can will most likely tell you what other tools you may need. Heck, the Home Centers have classes on this type of stuff, for FREE! At worst, think about buying a kitchen and bath book from, say, Time/Life Books or from any large bookstore or any on-line book store like or

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC