> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More Maintenance ...
Login | Register

More Maintenance ...

Posted by Jay J on October 16th, 1998 10:38 AM
In reply to Re: If This Were To Be The Case ... by carla on October 16th, 1998 08:40 AM [Go to top of thread]

Maintaining a WEB site is a job. I know. I manage one, though it's an INTERNAL one (not one for the outside world, so to speak.)

The software used to 'drive' the current BBS is generic, canned software. To add another level of 'complexity' (such as Category) to this BBS would require custom software. Personally, I'm not aware of 'canned' BBS software with a 'category' type-of option. This would imply someone would have to write custom software, hence, more problems to go wrong, hence, more maintenance.

I am no expert at anything in the home improvement business as you would be able to discern from my Follow-ups. I do, however, consider myself somewhat an expert at applications developement having done it for over 18 years. I'm no geek or chiphead; just someone who views himself as an artist at this type of a job (computer programming). Behind all this 'type' of software is a database or file system of some sort that needs to be maintained. If I mis-understand your question / follow-up, I apologize right now for that. But if I'm correct in undestanding that you're not that familiar with the software workings of a WEB site and/or a BBS, there's quite a bit of learning that will surprise you. It's fun, it's a challenge, it's a job, it's work.

'nough said. I'm not looking to pick a fight over 'more maintenance, less maintenance, or same maintenance'. There are options out there for the Webmeister to look at, and perhaps some that I'm not aware of because I don't write/maintain BBS software. I wish them luck and they are looking into options. (See a recently posted follow-up I did just yesterday on the main thread here.)

My best to ya and let's ALL hope for the best.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC