> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More Info ...
Login | Register

More Info ...

Posted by Jay J on September 28th, 2000 11:45 AM
In reply to replace the unit... by jb on September 28th, 2000 11:21 AM [Go to top of thread]

I agree with 'jb'. This could be a dangerous job. My attic folding stairs are beginning to 'snap' at me when I pull out the stairs. A bolt on the stairs (when folded), catches on the spring on the left side and the stairs SNAP down as I lower the door. I haven't even unfolded the stairs into the hallway yet. So, in due time, probably sooner than later, I'm just gonna replace the stairs.

If you were to contact the mfgr. for the hardware, or replace the hardware with some 'rigging' of your own, you may create an unsafe situation. If that one piece of hardware is worn, there may be others about to 'go out' on you. That's why, just like replacing a bad flapper in a toilet (for example), you might as well replace the ENTIRE guts because old parts don't work well with newer ones. And if 1 part is starting to go on you, chances are good that other parts are going on you as well. (It's a philosophical approach to me but with some experience to back it up.)

Here are a couple of links that may help you. Werner Ladders and Bessler Stair. Look at the Products for both and read about their Attic / Fold-down Stairs.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC