> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More Help ...
Login | Register

More Help ...

Posted by Jay J on July 23rd, 1998 10:40 AM
In reply to Hot in our upstairs by Pam Wright on July 22nd, 1998 09:27 PM [Go to top of thread]

MamaLiz is right. If your attic / roof-space is not properly vented, then it's possible that the heat is building up in that space and being 'forced' down into your living space. A decent solution in this space is to have a ridge vent with soffit vents, possibly gable vents as well. A roofing contractor or a general carpenter would be able to help you with this if you're not sure of your setup.

Assuming your attic / roof-space is properly vented, do you have enough return ducts upstairs? If you do, then perhaps they need to be checked for 'leaks'. Once, I discovered that our 2nd floor was 4-5 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. It turned out that the 2nd floor duct was 'taped' in the basement to another return duct, and this basement duct had 'sagged', thus, breaking the tape connection with the 2nd floor return duct! Instead of the system pulling air from the 2nd floor, it was pulling air from the basement now! Of course, I've since shored up the basement duct and made a more permanent connection down there to the return duct coming from the 2nd floor. So next, you should check for leaks in the return ducts ...

You know that hot air rises and cold air sinks. In the winter, when you have cold air upstairs and warm air downstairs, you've created an inversion layer. Since cold air wants to sink and hot air wants to rise, this inversion layer will not let air circulate. Hence, you need to get rid of the 'bad' air another way. Mostly via return ducts. By pulling the cold air from upstairs into your upstairs return ducts, you allow warm air to rise because the warm air is now able to displace the cold air. In either season, it sounds like the problem is not enough return ducts (or blocked or disconnected return ducts) upstairs. No promises but it's a start. There are other folks on the forum who can do better than I can with this.

Best to ya and hope it helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC