> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More Help ...
Login | Register

More Help ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on June 22nd, 2001 02:14 PM
In reply to More Info by Tony on June 22nd, 2001 12:17 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Tony,

I'm still not crystal clear on what's going on but I'll try to help (and make an assumption or 2) ...

Assuming your valley is flanged and you're about to lay the shingles, as long as the peak heigh is the same (as well as the eaves height), you should be OK to go as if it were all 1 roof. Now, if I understand your 'problem', you're saying that the distance up from 1 eaves (on the main house) to the peak is NOT the same as the distance from the eaves (on the addition) up to its peak. IF this is the case (and I'm making an assumption), yes, you have a problem.

(Continuing w/my assumption ...) lay parts of the necessary courses on the 'shortest' roof. Then, you can measure your way BACKWARDS (and down) to the 2nd roof. You can trim off as much as need be from the 1st course on the 2nd roof as necessary so the REST of the roof lines up. In short, your 'compensation' for the unevenness should be at the eaves; not at the peak. The 'line' at the eaves is not as visible as the line at the peak. Now, ... Hopefully I'M making sense. (LOL) But wait for others to come back for advice. I could be wrong, ya know, but that's how I'd fix the problem. YOu might want to take a few pictures with one of those disposable cameras, pay a few $$$ for 1 Hour Film Developing, and pay a visit to a Roofing & Siding Supplier. (They can be found in the Yellow Pages under ROOFING - SUPPLIES.)

Sorry, guy, but I can't see it from here, and if I make too many assumptions, I could steer you completely wrong. FWIW, my best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: If you know someone w/a Digital Camera, have THEM take a few pics for you and print them out on the Printer. It would be cheaper and probably quicker ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC