> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More. And That's All Folks ...
Login | Register

More. And That's All Folks ...

Posted by Jay J on July 28th, 1998 08:38 AM
In reply to concrete driveways by Rob on July 27th, 1998 09:36 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 2 people found this post helpful

I want you to know that I respect your expertise. There is more I need to say ...

If you need to re-read my original follow-up to David's post, I did say (more than once in various words) that you're a good sell for concrete. In fact, I went further and agreed with most of what you said. If not properly installed, a concrete driveway will fail as will an asphalt driveway if it, too, is not properly installed. As an ACI contractor, you know how to cut corners (not implying that you do; just a statement of fact based on your knowledge of the trade). And as for value, once again, I agree with you: value is in the eye of the beholder. So why are you arguing value when we both agree to disagree?

Your position, IMO, is a biased one. Why do I say this? It's because no matter what I, or anyone else for that matter, says about asphalt or brick or PT wood or whatever, you're convinced that concrete is the way to go. The proof is not once did you say anything like, "Well, I can agree that asphalt ... is a good value ... in such a case." I guess vinyl in the Mid-Atlantic states is a bad buy. Instead, you continue to press your view. That's fine with me because I'm not interested in changing your mind. As well, I'm not interested in swaying David into asphalt or concrete. He will choose based on what 'everyone' has to say. If you want to lay his driveway and give him the guarantee he wants, price it out and he'll decide. I'll even agree with you that concrete makes sense where it makes sense. Both value AND cost play into my equation for choosing the right material. I have concrete steps that rise about 5' over 60' in front of my home. They're not brick steps, they're not pressure treated, they're not p-gravel, they're not asphalt, and they're not decorative 'grey' concrete. They're plain, old, standard concrete that's 4400 PSI and steel reinforced to where the porch landing meets the steps. At the landing, there's an expansion joint. And where the landing meets the porch itself, the landing is NOT tied into the porch which is NOT tied into the home. So, I like you, can argue a good case for concrete steps over brick, wood, gravel, or whatever. Point is, if you weigh enough of the factors, including value and cost over short and long term, the decision is harder to make but you're much more informed. As for David, he has an open mind. You could at least respect other points of view and try to cite where you agree and not just where you disagree. "Yes Jay J I am ACI certified." You ought to be less arogant. You see? You don't think vinyl siding is good value because you rather use concrete. I guess Ashland-Davis, Certainteed, Alcoa, etc., etc., are wasting their time. Are you that right about concrete? (Just a rhetorical question.) I've seen the 'type' of concrete homes you build. I know you're in MA, and I've lived there from '83 - '92. And I've seen them cover these homes with vinyl, brick, stone, shakes, and so on. When this is done, I don't know what it is you have to maintain since the concrete is now covered. And to rub it in, looks ARE important to homeowners as is value. If you've got the $$$, $30 per month in MA isn't a consideration. These folks want looks and you're not building them a concrete or concrete-looking home.

Nice talking you ya. I'm done with the back-and-forth. What you say after this, should you say anything, I'm gonna suck it up like a man and say nothing. All I wanted to do was 'stir' David's brain (as I originally stated). This isn't the first time you and I have confabulated, and I'm gonna bet it won't be the last. (Well, on this thread, it's at least the end of the line for me.)

Jay J

PS. ... Been to the MIT concrete canoe races this year? Perhaps you have a tip or 2 for the kids. It's a blast to watch.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC