> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More ...
Login | Register

More ...

Posted by Jay J on July 27th, 1998 08:31 AM
In reply to concrete driveway by Rob on July 24th, 1998 05:44 PM [Go to top of thread]

2 of 2 people found this post helpful

Have you seen the drainage ditches in LA? I'm sure you have for they are in alot of hollywood movies. They are very steep, they are concrete.
-Yes, I've seen them. What's their PSI? Are they re-inforced? How thick is the pour? What's the base? Are the expansion joints vertical or horizontal? How large is each 'section'? Tell me why the concrete in these spillways doesn't buckle or slip? Please answer these, in generalities, and in the context of a driveway! If you're gonna tell David to use concrete, please put the analogy of the spillways and his driveway in perspective. Would you care to price how much it cost to put in a concrete driveway (per cubic yard) VS. the wall of a spillway per cubic yard? Then sell your analogy to me. I'd think the time & material in a spillway wall is overkill for a driveway. David says the 'angle' issue isn't an issue, but humor me on my questions to the 'example' you've cited. Heck, you can pour concrete straight up if you want and it won't fall over. But at what cost???

I think the best statement was bring "down" the value of your home with an out of context driveway.
-Yes. I re-read my follow-up. I did say, '... could being the value of your home down ...' I guess I should have said, '... could bring down the value of your home ...' English lesson or did one / both of us miss something on this point?

Concrete does not have to be gray. Make it brown,red ,green, black if you like the color of asphalt.
-Sure. Good point. Either way, I'd personnaly consider my points on home value.

I would ask how a high quality, non maintance feature in a home would bring the value down. If everyone on the street had evergreen hedges and you put in rose bushes, would that bring down the value of your house?
-Yes, maybe. Then again, maybe not. I did say 'probably' or 'maybe' or something like that. I DIDN'T say 'it will bring down the value of your home'. I'm not a home appraiser, nor am I David Magnus, nor do I live in his neighborhood. Why do you think there are Homeowner Organizations out there? Your type of improvement may not be in the right context of the rest of the neighborhood, and MAY hold down the value of yout home. The word I should have used was 'hold' down; not bring down. A picket fence is out of contect with a neighborhood full of post-and-rail systems. Sure, a fence is a fence, a rose bush is a rose bush, and a driveway is a driveway. Yea, until you go to sell (or buy). If you're the homeowner trying to sell, you may not get the value you'd like considering your 'improvement' is out-of-context. On the other hand, as a home buyer, you may view the 'improvement' as, "Yea, it's nice, but it looks different / weird / whatever." You and I both know that maintenance-free vinyl siding is real nice but try to get your money back in a neighborhood full of homes with asbestos, cement shingles. The homeowner with the vinyl isn't gonna get their money back. This is a fact in my neighborhood, and if you feel the need to have the proof, I can oblidge you.

The next two questions I know you can answer. Who is Dave? What do you call quality?
-Dave is David Magnus. (Whose original post is this?!) What do I call quality? I call quality the end-result of the effort, time, and materials you'd put into David's driveway as if it was YOUR driveway at YOUR house. You don't skimp. You get what you pay for. And you consider everything including value on resale in the context in which the 'improvement' lies with the rest of the nieghborhood.

I hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC