> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More ...
Login | Register

More ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 8th, 2001 08:38 PM
In reply to right answers by Henry in MI on January 8th, 2001 05:11 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Marcie,

Once again, Henry has 'summed' it up pretty good for me too.

I actually suggest you go with vinyl in the kitchen. For what it's worth (FWIW), the kitchen gets a LOT of wear. It's one of the most used and BUSIEST rooms in the house. Traffic usually goes THROUGH the kitchen. Heck, where does everyone 'gather' when you have a party or get-together at your house? (In mine, yup, it's the kitchen, then then they overflow from there ...)

Anyways, when I suggest reading the Warranty, I'm only trying to point out that 1) It's important you read it, 2) it's important you understand it, and 3) it's only as good as the mfgr. that stands behind it. I wouldn't go as far as saying that you can kiss your floor 'good-by' as far as the Warranty is concerned. At least it talks about 1 issue you're interested in reading about (ie., water.) It certainly talks about other issues like subfloor, mfgr. defects, and so on.

And lastly, do look into runners, area rugs, and mats (that come WITH the rubberized backing already pre-sewn on them.) Put these in the 'traffic paths' and you'll extend the life of your floor. Laminates, as you've already learned (and astute you are), there's better value in a solid floor. Armstrong (which has filed for Chapter 11 I believe) has an excellent line of vinyl SHEET flooring - Solarium. I don't like ceramic tile in the kitchen for a few reasons. And in no particular order (personally speaking of course), it's cold, it's hard, you have to clean and reseal grout, and almost anything that's dropped on it will break AND/OR chop the ceramic.

Well, 'nough said. If you have more ?'s or whatever, post a-new and we'll go from there. Great job on doing your homework! My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC