> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More ...
Login | Register

More ...

Posted by Jay J on May 8th, 2000 08:06 AM
In reply to Follow up to Jay J re the attic stairs by E Herman on May 8th, 2000 01:48 AM [Go to top of thread]

To re-answer the last part of your original post, I don't think anyone can guide you through a step-by-step 'procedure' w/o seeing the situation as to where you want to put in the stairs. Secondly, assuming you have gone as far as making the rough opening and taken into consideration all the necessary precautions for the ceiling, load bearing walls, etc., etc., the 'step by step' installation information comes with the stairs. And I guarantee you they are different, at least enough so, from one another.

To answer the first part of your question regarding doing an installation yourself, if you find that the installation isn't doable for one person, then all I can say is you need to find help. I know they're heavy, and unless you can 'rig something up' to pull up the stairs while you're in the attic, or whatever, again, you're gonna need to find some help. Perhaps you can dismantle the stairs where you first put in the stair frame, then you reattach the stairs once the frame is in. That way, you don't have to try to pull and lift and hold all that wieght at once. Once you put in the frame, then you can OPEN the stairs up and go from there.

Let me know what specific 'trouble' or 'problem' you're having with your stairs (assuming you've bought them already.) If you want, e-mail me directly because your post is getting buried by other posts.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: I apologize for sounding non-helpish. The instructions that come with the stairs usually tell you how to do it. Maybe they assume 2 people are doing it, maybe not. Maybe they assume you already know that you need to 'take it apart' a little before you start installing if it's just one person doing the install. I ALSO know that instructions, these days, for DIY projects aren't written that well ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC