> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > More ...
Login | Register

More ...

Posted by Jay J on May 3rd, 2000 02:14 PM
In reply to Yeah, that's what I was afraid of by James on May 3rd, 2000 01:36 PM [Go to top of thread]

The Family Handyman Magazine had a great article last year on how to do this exact job. It was very good. For the few $$$ it would cost for the back issue, it would be worth getting. Maybe you can at least do the 'finish work'.

The only problem is where your drains are with respect to your sewer vent. If your sewer vent is higher up than any other vent in the house, THAT will be the point of least resistance. You'll need a ball-stop insert at any point (or at a junction point) that's lower than the sewer vent.

Heck, if a pro does it and it adds value to the home, then go for it. You might want to check with a local Real Estate agent that's sold similiar homes (with and without a basement bathroom) to see how they sold. If they tell you that your 'investment' will get you double your money in 5 years, then go for it. If she tell you that it's a break-even deal no matter how far out into the future you are, or if it's a loss, then you'll have to weigh the benefits of spending a few thousand dollars for convenience. I now where you're coming from but there is no easy answer.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: Should you have a professional plumber do the pipe work, be sure to ask how drain lines are gonna handle back-ups. And where he installs a back-flow valve (or ball), be sure to ask if you'll need access to it for maintenance. And what will happen if your toilet or sink lines spring a leak? Will he be installing a floor drain too? (I'd definitely consider it based on how Home Owner Insurance Policies are written these days!)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC