I have a split-level home. The bottom floor is essentially a concrete slab at ground level. The family room had indoor/outdoor carpet right over the concrete with no padding or vapor barrier. After owning the house a few months I noticed a strong moldy and mildew smell. I have done tons of research on this subject, but always read conflicting remedies to get rid of the smell. I run a dehumidifier and have ripped up the rug, but now we want to refinish the room. I know this will consist of sealing the walls and using a vapor barrier. But what should I do to the floor? What kind of flooring should we use? Is ceramic tile o.k., or will I end up ripping it up a few years down the road due to mold and moisture damage? We have no visible water collecting any where in the basement (bottom floor), but there is a major moisture problem. I also had a hallway closet with many coats in it that got moldy! It is frustrating and expensive to keep throwing things away and replacing them. What else can I do other than selling the house and moving...?