> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Mold
Login | Register


Posted by JT on July 9th, 1998 07:31 PM
In reply to PAINTING OVER MOLD by Renee Hoffstead on July 9th, 1998 04:50 PM [Go to top of thread]

Renee, there are paints which will inhibit growth
for quite awhile, but the only "once and for all"
measure is to remove the cause. The cause is excess
moisture and a surface cold enough to bring the
reletive humidity of the air near it to above 70%.
That it's growing on the 2nd floor ceiling, isn't
supprising, moisture will be carried there by warm
air's natural tendancey to rise. What is interesting
is that it is forming on an inside wall. Outside
walls with poor insulation are often cold enough
to cause this, but inside one's rarely are. Do you
know what is behind the wall, perhaps chimney or
electrical/plumbing chase? Locating and reducing
or eliminating the source of the moisture may be
sufficient, but you may also need more (or some?)
attic insulation and insulation in the cold wall.
ery often the excess moisture originates in a
damp basement or crawlspace, but a lot of cooking
or showering and no vent fans can also do it.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC