> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > moisture / humidity causing floor to cup
Login | Register

moisture / humidity causing floor to cup

Posted by Bart Abernathy on May 23rd, 2001 06:24 PM

Recently a new hardward floor was installed in my new Rent Cabin/House. The floor is Cupping. The floor is Hickory, 3/4 inch nail down, toung N grouve, 5 inches in width. The cabin is pier & beam. Subfloor used 30 lb. felt under the hardwood flooring. I have noticed that some flooring nails did miss the joist and therfore puncture the felt poking through the subfloor. This Spring was very wet (S.E. Oklahoma)and not all crawlspace vents were open. No moisture barrier was installed so dirt floor was very moist and muddy in spots. Dirt is clay which holds moisture.

To remedy I did the following:
- Installed French Drains on outside to keep water away from house.
- installed plastic (6 mil) on floor of crawlspace
- installed a air evacuation system which pulls air from hole in subfloor. Shut all other openings including vents so only air will be from upstairs in house. The air evacuation system is from Humidex.
- Next, I'll add humidity readers under, inside and outside house to compare the humidity. This hasn't been done yet. Air Evacution system has been running for 4 days.

-Should I go ahead and try to add heat to dry out underneath or just let air evacuation system dry out subfloor?
-Should I crosscut hardwood flooring to relieve pressure?
-Should I remove boards at edges of floor and cut of some to relieve pressure?
-Should I concret underneath house to eliminate moisture from ground?
-Should I install a real dehumidifier to dry more?
-Should I install an environment control system that works with my HVAC that will monitor humidity levels inside and under house and dehumidify, cool or heat as needed?

my builder completed construction on a pier and beam cabin/house.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC