> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > moisture....garage-New Construction home
Login | Register

moisture....garage-New Construction home

Posted by Bob L on January 17th, 2003 09:21 AM

New construction 6 box modular home with attached stick built garage, full basement, 3900Sq Ft...+garage/mud room.

We've got an energy star home, problem is it is too weather tight. The unheated garage has R30 instulation (Bat) but as of now we've not drywalled because of a recommendation not to by the builder since concrete the first year will dry and give off heavy moisture. We're in the heart of the Pocono mtn's, atop a mountain, facing South but garage faces N-NE .... We have a 5' concrete wall that comes up from the basement floor which is poured not block. The decision to do that would enable the concrete wall to have any height backfill up against it in the future without worrying about wood OSB being a problem. Anyway, we're getting frost on that wall, the interior walls in the entire garage are glazed with frost and the one time since October it warmed up to 40F the garage hit 50F+ and mildew formed. I sprayed the mildew but what will stop the formation of the condensation. I know it is mostly the differnce and humidity difference between the outside temp and humidity difference to the interior garage with hot vehicles being pulled in covered with snow doing it. The water runs off but evidently it looks as if the water is absorbed somewhat into the floor and makes its way to the walls and up the wall ....

Should I remove the insulation in the ceiling? Then actual wind comes in the vented soffit and down the walls and it is frigid in the garage....Do I finish off the garage with insulation? Drywall? I don't want to just "cover up" a problem.

I have been told by my father that back in his day you heated the space and just kept it above freezing? Does that make sense? I would think the warmer you get it, the worse the difference inside to outside ambient temp and when the garage opens, the equilizing pressure differences meteorologically would create a quick dose of cold air into warm somewhat humid space whereby adding to the condensation, not curing it. You'd need to be HOT, dry heat as in wood burning stove not Kerosene or Electric...electric is out because imagine a 1500 watt space heater keeping a 500 square foot garage warm.

PLEASE help and advise.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC