> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Modular Home Quality
Login | Register

Modular Home Quality

Posted by Valerie on May 8th, 2003 04:18 PM
In reply to Modular home quality by Stefan on November 20th, 2002 11:16 AM [Go to top of thread]

2 of 2 people found this post helpful

I hope this isn't too late since your message was posted last February. If you are like me, you probably have done a lot of research. Read what you want, but talk with the people that have had the experience like mine.
The quality of a modular home in my opion is great. They are built inside and out of the weather. My story doesn't have such a good ending. I bought a modular house. It was delivered on site on November 9, 2002! Today is May 9, 2003! When I called the company, Excel Homes Inc. they referred me to an "Independent Excel Builder". Of course I then assumed that if by some change the builder/contractor/dealer didn't do their job, I would have a major company to back me up. Well, first, the roof wasn't completed. I had water damage in 8 rooms! I called the manufacturer and sent movies, plus pleaded with them to help. At first their service manager was very sympathetic and said they'd get a setup crew there next week to close the roof and evaluate the problem. I never heard another offer to help after that. Now, they are telling me that I made the choice to go with that builder and I asked them for the name of a builder that had experience with modular homes. In reality, I called to see about getting information and was told that they were happy to have a new dealer in Pittsburgh. So, here I am 7 months..the roof still not complete, no furnace, hot water heater, garage doors, shutters, roof on porch, siding not complete, the contractor is presently repairing the drywall from the winter water damage! I could just go on and on. We all know that finding a qualified builder is difficult. Just don't believe because a big company refers you that you are going to be okay. With Excel, if you have a problem it's YOUR problem. I gave them a check for $92,292 back in November for a new house. By the time I get in, it will have been repaired, the attic was exposed to a lot of dampness and we are just waiting to see if warping or even mold develops. My point being, the quality of the houses are wonderful, the quality of the service may be another issue. I have movies of my house which I am very willing to share with anyone. I also have a letter from their service manager I'm willing to share. I wish I could be spilling over with happiness and bragging about my new modular home. Instead, I am begging, pleading wit the manufacturer to help me. In their own words "There is very little we can do. Mr. ___ (the independent Excel Builder)is completely satisfied with our service to him and Mr.____ (the independent Excel Builder) is our customer" I'm not using the contractor's name because my house isn't done yet. Between him and Excel, my husband and I have spent every dime we had! To this point, we have put out over $153,000 and 7 months later, do not have a house to live that was 90% done when delivered. Just think twice as to who you deal with! Again, I am willing to talk with ANYONE!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC