Hi, John. The bleach is the best mildew killer that I know of. Unfortunately, you don't even have to get something wet to get mildew growing on it. Just high humidity will start it growing nicely. You might consider spraying the bleach with a plastic pump sprayer like yuou use for garden chemicals. One of the worst things in this situation is carpeting on the floor. It holds the water and mildew loves growing on it. Just discard the carpet. Don't try to save it or you will forever have problems.