> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Mike Is Right On ...
Login | Register

Mike Is Right On ...

Posted by Jay J on March 22nd, 1999 02:32 PM
In reply to Electrical Work by Mike from Homeworks on March 19th, 1999 07:41 PM [Go to top of thread]

There are lots of variables that could affect the cost. And as suggested, get a quote or 2 and ask the questions that you've learned here. What's the cost of supplies? Will I need a new meter? Do I have cabling outside for 200 amp service or do you need to install it? What's the cost for the box and breakers? And so on ...

I live just SE of Philly, PA and had 60 amp service upgraded to 200 amp in 1995. It cost $975, and the contractor did all the work and bought all the material. For an additional $300, I had 3 spot lights, 2 outdoor outlets, and 1 indoor-to-outdoor outlet (for turning Christmas lights, Easter lights, Halloween lights on and off from inside) done as well. PLUS, they dropped 2 12-2 lines from the attic to the basement for future use. This may have been a good deal because at the time it was done, the economy was barely heating up. It was a bit slow for contractors, plus, it was an outdoor job as well as an indoor one too. Now, you may have to shop for, like, 3 bids because 'the trades' are in high demand. Hence, they command a high price. It's just how the economy cycles.

As an aside, I also suggest that you get a 40 slot panel even though you may only use, say, 15. For the exta $$$, you'll have no worry for future expansion. Even though I don't have electricity to a shed in the yard, I had the contractor put a 40 amp breaker to eventually service my shed when I do the work in a year or 2 from now. So, think ahead, my best to ya, and hope this all helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC