> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Melted Plastic in Hampton Bay Fan
Login | Register

Melted Plastic in Hampton Bay Fan

Posted by James Broderick on April 17th, 2003 09:09 PM
In reply to Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans by Jim Newlon on October 6th, 2002 06:06 PM [Go to top of thread]

Moderator Post (s) for this thread:
> You can't by doug seibert on 09/22/2004
> Ducky........ by doug seibert on 03/26/2005
> I had a similar problem. by Handyman on 01/04/2008

We installed a 52" Hampton Bay fan/light fixture in our kid's bedroom sometime around May of 2000. The light fixture accomodates 2 60 watt bulbs, which are contained within a frosted, bowl-shaped diffuser.

In March of this year, while changing a dead bulb, I noticed a smelly plastic residue adhereing to its surface. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the manifold located directly above the bulb appeared to have melted. It had also changed color, from clear, to a something like coffee.

I took a photo of the fixture, then removed it and returned it to Home Depot. I attached a letter describing the problem to the manager of our local store. As we had no receipt, they gave us store credit in lieu of a refund.

I have no idea whether our experience with this fan is unique, but I do know that Home Depot continues to sell a Hampton Bay fan which appears to be identical to the one we purchased three years back.

If any of you own that fan, I suggest that you remove the frosted light diffuser, and confirm that the plastic manifold contained within is neither melted nor discolored. In our case, it appears that the plastic was dripping onto a hot light bulb, just a few feet above our children's heads.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC