> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Melamine paint
Login | Register

Melamine paint

Posted by Blair Butterfield on April 12th, 2000 02:34 AM
In reply to Has anyone used Malemine paint? by J. on April 10th, 2000 12:43 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

I used melamine paint to cover some formica countertops in my office. It was very cumbersome to work with. I finally used a small diameter foam roller to spread it. The roller left little bubbles in the surface, but as it dried the bubbles popped and left a little bumpy texture, which actually didn't look too bad. Of course this was on a flat surface ... I'm not sure how it would fare on a vertical surface. I would be a little afraid of it running.
There was one little quirk that you should be aware of, which may apply only to the brand I used. This was about 6 years ago and I believe that it was the first melamine paint on the market (I believe the name was "Kyanize"). Anyway, the surface was a nice bright white, but if you placed anything on it for a few days and then removed it there was a yellowed spot where the light did not hit. After a few days uncovered it would be nice and white again.
Hopefully they've improved the product since then. It was a fairly hard surface but you could leave an impression with a fingernail edge if you pressed hard.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC