> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Mechanically scoring the surface..
Login | Register

Mechanically scoring the surface..

Posted by Kerry on April 3rd, 2001 11:43 PM
In reply to terrazzo floor and tile by Robert S on April 3rd, 2001 10:46 PM [Go to top of thread]

I don't think an acid wash is enough. There is a machine that scores concrete (don't know what it's called), or you could use a grinder. My only concern would be the metal banding in the terrazzo in scoring the material. You could glue down another layer of something like cement board (wonder board). Of course scoring the material will cause considerable dust.

Another option is to drill and using anchors lay metal mesh and then skim coat this with a product like "One Step" thinset ( a good thinset with latex medium added for stregth). This will give a good sub structure and surface to lay tile and basically create a floating floor for any kind of contracting and expansion that might take place. Regardless whatever you do will be very labor intensive.

Breaking up the terrazzo would be the most recommended approach and then laying down concrete board or mesh with thinset.

OR you could just buy ....uhm I can't remember what it's called. There is a thinset that has such good adhesive properties they advertise it will stick to glass. You could just clean the surface and then put the tile down with this junk and call it a day. Chances are if the sub floor is in good shape this would surprise you just how well it would work. (Of course it might come right up.) :-)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC