> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Maybe, Maybe Not ...
Login | Register

Maybe, Maybe Not ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on December 3rd, 2002 08:40 PM
In reply to Wood floors by Sue Solloway on December 3rd, 2002 06:16 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Sue,

It would depend based on what I know about wood and moisture.

RE: Bedroom - Personally, I think it's kinda a waste of $$$ unless you have it to spend. Sure it looks real nice but who's going to see it other than family and those 'folks' you show around the house. In other words, no one really gets to enjoy it, except family that lives in the home - mainly you and the significant other. Also, walking on hardwood is somewhat noisy, especially in a bedroom. There may be someone sleeping and there are other rooms. Soooo, you end up covering the floor w/runners and such. Don't let me mislead you. I DO love hardwood floors but I like them in foyers, living rooms, dining rooms, and family rooms (not the kitchen or bathroom.) Yes, I do put runners and area rugs down in the high traffic areas. But under the furniture and in front of the fireplace and such, the floor is exposed. That's my $.02 on that.

RE: Bathroom - Again, it's a no-no w/me. Here, moisture can run havoc on your floor w/expansion and contraction if the bathroom isn't adequately vented. Even if it is, water on a hardwood floor can ruin the finish in no time, PLUS, it can cause expansion and contraction problems as well. Worst, engineered floors and laminates are a no-no. Bathrooms, in my opinion, should have vinyl or tile. It's old-fashioned but it works!

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC