> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Maybe, Maybe Not ...
Login | Register

Maybe, Maybe Not ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on November 22nd, 2002 03:19 PM
In reply to Mulch Around Home Foundation by Brenda on November 22nd, 2002 01:43 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Brenda,

If termites are 'around', they will find a way to take advantage of a particular situation. In short, termites need a certain temperature range, a certain humidity range, and a certain food source. Sometimes, if you're able to sufficiently alter just 1 of those conditions, termites won't stay. So, you need to look at the big picture here.

For example, is there mulch on the east, west, and/or north side of the house? Is the mulch damp all the time? Is the mulched area always or mostly shaded? Are termites a problem in your area?

If you answered YES to any of these questions, it's quite possible that you could be inviting termites. Although the Home Inspector's intentions are well-placed, unless he gives you a FORMAL Termite Inspection Report, I wouldn't trust his inspection at all! Your best bet if to have the home inspected by a licensed termite inspector and to get a written report. In fact, you should go over a SAMPLE report with a prospective inspector (or 2 or 3) BEFORE you hire one to see what kind of information it is that you'll be getting.

I don't think anyone here can give you any odds. Every situation is unique. Remember, there are certain conditions that must prevail to have termites. AND, those conditions can vary depending on the termites in your 'area'.

I do wish you well. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC