> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Maybe ...
Login | Register

Maybe ...

Posted by Jay J on June 2nd, 2000 12:12 PM
In reply to cut floor by Gary on June 2nd, 2000 11:49 AM [Go to top of thread]

First, I'll speak my mind ... Why weren't the boards at and near the 'cut' removed BEFORE the floor was cut??! That's what's normally done. So when the house is pieced back together, either shims are placed where the floor comes back together, or the house is put back together w/o shims and the removed boards are 'planed' to fit back into their place. I'd be really pissed at the Mover! Would the insurance on the job pay for the restoration??? Do check this out ...

Well, the damage is done. What you can do is remove a number of boards from along one of the 2 parallel walls and try to get them to fit. If they AREN'T the same dimension as the ones that need to be replaced, just hope that the boards are wider; not narrower. If they're narrower, you can't add in any filler where you might have gaps. Then take the 'cut' boards and put them along the parallel wall where you removed the 'good' boards. If you can remove boards that are up against the wall, those are your best bets.

Other alternatives include: Using an area rug over the damaged area. Adding a 'threshold' (which may look out of place unless you use good boards under a parallel wall to have one custom-made.) Live with the 'blemish' and keep it as a conversation piece. You can try a Salvage Yard for Old Homes. Check the Yellow Pages or talk to your local Historical/Preservation Society as to where you might get such boards. Of course, you'll need to bring in a sample and make some measurements when you go 'hunting'. Maybe someone else has some thoughts.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC