renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > MAYBE ...
Login | Register

MAYBE ...

Posted by JAY J on February 16th, 2000 08:10 AM
In reply to YARD DRAINAGE by JOHN on February 15th, 2000 07:26 PM [Go to top of thread]

JOHN,

IT DEPENDS. FWIW, THE HOME TO MY LEFT IS ABOUT 3' ABOVE ME, AND THE HOME TO MY RIGHT IS ABOUT 3' BELOW ME. SO, WE'RE 'TIERED' LIKE YOU.

WHAT I HAD TO DO TO HANDLE THE WATER COMING FROM THE HOUSE TO MY LEFT WAS DIG A 4' X 2' X 3' HOLE, LINE IT WITH FILTER FABRIC, THEN BACKFILL W/2.5' OF 3/4" GRAVEL. I THEN LAYED A FINAL LAYER OF FILTER FABRIC ON TOP, AND BACKFILLED WITH 6" OF DIRT SO I COULD GROW GRASS. THE 'PIT' HAS A VERTICLE PVC PIPE IN IT AND IT'S CAPPED ABOUT 1" ABOVE THE GROUND SO THAT WHEN THE WATER 'FILLS' THE AREA ABOVE THE PIT, IT RISES UP, THEN DRAINS INTO THE VENT WHEN IT GETS DEEPER THAN 1". (I PERIODICALLY REMOVE THE CAP AND LAY A CLEAN PIECE OF LANDSCAPE FABRIC (YES, LANDSCAPE FABRIC) OVER THE HOLE, THEN REPLACE THE PERFORATED VENT CAP. THIS WAY, NO GRASS OR LEAVES OR JUNK POLLUTES MY FRENCH DRAIN.

WHEN THERE IS AN UNUSUALLY HEAVY RAIN, THE WATER RISES UP AND DRAINS INTO THE VENT AND INTO THE PIT. IF IT'S NOT READILY ABSORBED, 2' UP FROM THE BOTTOM IS A PERFORATED PVC PIPE THAT RUNS ABOUT 40' TO THE FRONT OF THE HOUSE. THIS IS CONSTRUCTED JUST LIKE THE PHOTO IN THE ATTACHEMENT IN MY FOLLOW-UP TO YVONNE, USING FILTER FABRIC AS THE WRAP. (DON'T USE LANDSCAPE FABRIC EXCEPT WHERE YOU WANT TO 'FILTER' OUT STUFF AT THE TOP OF THE VENT. YOU SEE, OVER TIME, IF YOU DIDN'T USE FILTER FABRIC IN YOUR PIT AND DIDN'T TOP-OFF YOUR VENT WITH LANDSCAPE FABRIC, JUNK WILL POLLUTE YOUR PIT AND IT WON'T FUNCTION. OH, MY PIT IS 3' FROM THE HOUSE SO THE WATER DOESN'T DO ANY HARM.

NOW, BACK TO YOUR QUESTION ... IT DEPENDS, IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF WATER, YOU MAY HAVE TO DIG QUITE A FEW HOLES TO LINE W/FILTER FABRIC AND BACKFILL WITH GRAVEL. DON'T FORGET, WITH THE GRAVEL IN THE PITS, THERE ISN'T MUCH ROOM FOR WATER. PLUS, LIKE YOU SAID, IT HAS TO GET ABSORBED TOO. SO, YOU HAVE TO FIGURE ON A 100 YEAR 'FLOOD/RAIN'. CERTAINLY, YOU CAN TRY IT BUT REMEMBER TO TOP-OFF YOUR GRAVEL-FILLED PITS WITH FILTER FABRIC (NO GRASS BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T USE A VENT, THE WATER NEEDS TO GET INTO THE PITS REAL QUICK) IF YOU'RE NOT 'FINISHING' THE JOB WITH A VENT. (I WOULDN'T USE VENTS IF I WAS DIGGING 12 PITS. JUST GO RIGHT TO GROUND LEVEL W/THE GRAVEL AND COVER WITH FILTER FABRIC.)

IF YOU NEED MORE INFO, E-MAIL ME DIRECTLY. THIS 'POST' IS GETTING BURRIED VERY QUICKLY. MY BEST TO YA AND HOPE THIS HELPS.

JAY J

PS: IF YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM, JOIN THEM. (ISN'T READING ALL THIS GIVING YOU A HEADACHE?!)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC