> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Masking tape and painting
Login | Register

Masking tape and painting

Posted by Bruce M on October 22nd, 1998 12:05 AM
In reply to Masking tape peels paint by ChrisR on October 21st, 1998 09:24 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Chris
This may not help much, but the problem lies not so much with the tape you use, but the paint you are sticking the tape on. If the surface paint is low in solids (less than about 35% binder and pigment), the original surface was not preped well or a low % binder primer was used, the surface paint will simply not adhere well and will come off using even low adhesion painters masking tape. I've found this particularly true when repainting the interior of a recently purchased house where the former owners paid the lowest bid to get fast-and-cheap painters to put on a quick finish coat with little or no preparation. The new paint can often be simply rubbed off......but I digress.

People who paint for a living generally don't use masking tape....the reason is that they often fear the object they are trying to paint around has not been painted correctly and the paint will come off if they use tape...and....they are experienced enough to 'wet' around the object and not get paint on it.

If I were you, I'd buy a good quality, tapered nylon (for latex) or bristle (for oil) brush and get in the habit of painting around the trim and moldings you wish not to paint. Use an artists brush for getting into the really tight places. I like the Purdy brand of brush, but there are other good brushes.

Except for window panes (when painting muntins), I don't tape anymore....its much easier and faster and with practice, the end product can be every bit as good as a taped job :-)

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC