Hi, Linda. Alcohol is a solvent for Magic Marker. The problem is that it is also a solvent for shellac, varnish and water based finishes. I would still try it though. Denatured alcohol will be your best bet but you could try any kind of alcohol that you had around. You want to pour on a little and blot it back up quickly with a clean white cloth. Do not rub the cloth on the table or it may mess up the finish. Do this very quickly and don't even blot hard. If you get most of it, wait a day for the finish to dry before you try to get the rest of it. Don't try this if you think that you have a shellac finish.