> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Make-up air
Login | Register

Make-up air

Posted by The Insulator on September 6th, 2000 09:30 AM
In reply to Intake air in winter. by Harold Kestenholz - Hydronic Network on September 5th, 2000 06:35 PM [Go to top of thread]

As I stated, there needs to be an allowance for make-up air. In many forced air furnaces, this is alredy allowed for. The Swedes developed a simple air intake that is being marketed in the US called a "Fresh 80" that, quite simply, is a 3" hole in the wall with filter & baffling. It's mounted high on a wall, in several locations through the house, and allows outside air to slowly trickle in. The effect that mounting high has is that as cold air enters, it immediate drops along the wall and is dispersed. by the time it would reach the floor, it's tempered with no noticable cold draft. IT WORKS! I live in COLD northern Wisconsin. even in severe cold there is no noticable cold draft being caused by these units (Although there is a manual shut-off on them if one wishes to use them). More of a draft is created by the air cooling on the windows & dropping to the floor. If there is drafting around the windows & cracks, that will occur with or without an air managing system. The solution them is to seal the source of the leak & not focus on the symptomn of the draft. So, the issue on drafts & make-up air is a non-issue.

For summertime, I agree that it can be counter-productive to allow humid outside air into the house. However, if you air-conditioning in the house, include the basement in the a/c & your humidity will drop. If you choose a dehumidifier, stay away from the generic sheap units (they are only cost effective on very high humidity) & consider a quality unit, perhaps a whole house system.

You might do a seach for either DEC Systems, Thermastore, or Quietvent. This will lead you to a company that handles all of the mentioned types of products (yes, including air-to-air exchngers & an interesting air-to-water unit)

The Insulator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC