> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Louvres
Login | Register

Posted by Dan Fall on March 24th, 2003 01:59 AM

One more posting soliciting feedback from the forum. Again about the church.

The church has a belltower with wooden louvres. The louvres are 30 x 50 (about). They are made like a wood frame window, set into a rough opening. The louvres were made by applying base shoe on the sides on an angle, and then applying about a 1x8 on an angle. Each louvre has 11 boards on about a 45 degree angle. This would imply each board is about 3.5" from the next one.

The louvres leak badly, and are completely rotten. I have volunteered to remove them, and build new ones. I intend to use .6 retention treated lumber to build new wooden louvres, and I intend to replace (probably) sill plates, and any addition exterior trim. The sill plates will get covered with metal, and everything will be set in a good 50 year silicone. Rest of opening looksok.

The only thing I'm not real sure about is the best way to design the louvres to reduce the amount of driving rain we get into the bell tower, and of course, whatever I do, I don't want to distort the sounds coming out of the belltower, which would defeat the whole purpose.

We had a bid for metal louvres, custom made, but they wanted $1,700 per louvre (copper), plus install.

Any advice from the forum would be appreciated, and email me too if you post. Thanks. Dan

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC