> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Lots of options
Login | Register

Lots of options

Posted by Dave 225 on March 13th, 2001 11:28 AM
In reply to help with repairs in kitchen by khalid c. on March 11th, 2001 10:30 PM [Go to top of thread]

There are so many things you can do - it would be best if you post your specific questions one at a time - e.g. 'how can I make old cabinets look new?', 'how can I get more counter space' , etc...

So - to answer those two questions -

Yes, you can paint the cabinets - sometimes it looks good when you're done and sometimes it looks pretty bad. It depends what you're starting with. But without seeing them first, assuming they're in good condition, my guess would be that you ought to paint. (If it doesn't work out - THEN you can replace them.) Clean the cabinets to degrease them and then rough up the surfaces with some fine sandpaper. Then prime and paint the cabinets. You may want to put on new handles too to update the look.

To get more counterspace - I'd need to see the room layout - but maybe you can replace the kitchen table with a work table (higher than a regular kitchen table) with some high stools for when she wants to sit at the table. And if the table had some casters (with roll locks) the work surface could be wheeled to where it's needed. You can probably find something at Target... ? Or, if there's enough room, you can replace the kitchen table with an island made out of cabinets and a countertop. (Submit a new post if you want help on building an island.)

Removing the paneling and replacing with drywall & paint should spruce things up a bit too.

New lighting sometimes makes a big difference in the way a room looks ....

--Hope that helps a little

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC