> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Lots Going On Here ...
Login | Register

Lots Going On Here ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on February 18th, 2002 10:18 AM
In reply to kitchen floor replacement by larry rogers on February 18th, 2002 09:23 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi larry,

Let me see if I can help answer your questions in a more general sense.

You shouldn't have to (temporarily) remove your cabinets, or raise them, assuming that the new floor won't 'interfere' with doors and drawers (when opened and closed.) Also, if you have 'toe room' under your cabinets (for your feet when you're standing at a counter), then you have to do the mathematics to see if you'll raise the floor TOO high whereas your toes won't fit under the toe space. AT the same time, depending on how 'thick' your floor ends up being, you may have to 'cut' the bottoms of doors that lead to the rooms around the kitchen so they open and close too. (The same goes for the 'trim' around your doorways. Along the same lines, you want to avoid (if possible) changes-in-height between the kitchen and other rooms 'attached' to it. The 'threshold' between the kitchen and these other rooms should be as 'level' as possible. Otherwise, folks could trip. Yes, they do make 'uneven thresholds' for such situations but, again, you want to avoid or minimize this situation.

And lastly, yes, you want a FLAT, LEVEL floor. Either use the proper floor leveling compound or 'cut out' what you can and insert a replacement piece. Just be sure you do this in such a way that whatever you cut out can be SCREWED (and even glued) back in place. The same goes for the part(s) of the subfloor, or lauan, that you are cutting around. Sooooo, make your cutouts on the MIDDLE of your joists. (This way, the piece your replace AND the piece(s) still on the floor can be screwed/glued to the joists. See what I mean???)

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC