> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Looking for a low-clearance garage door opener
Login | Register

Looking for a low-clearance garage door opener

Posted by TomR on October 4th, 1999 02:49 AM

11 of 13 people found this post helpful

Iím faced with a dilemma, of sorts. Iím replacing one of my garage doors, and would like to add a garage door opener. Problem is, I have only about 1" clearance between the ceiling of the garage and the door when it is opened. It basically lays flat along the ceiling. To further complicate matters, the door is only 6í6" high

Finding a replacement door that size is not the problem, but finding an opener is. Most models need 3"-4" minimum clearance between the door and the ceiling. I was told, though, that there are low-clearance models available, but have been unable to find any.

I could, if I wanted, order a shorter door, thereby gaining the necessary clearance, but then Iím afraid it might look funny next to the other garage doors, and worse, become an issue by decreasing already restricted headroom. In that case, I think I'd rather have no opener at all.

I was told about a track drive model where the motor unit, rather than being stationary, crawls along a Ĺ" track, pushing the door ahead of it, but no supplier locally knows anything about it.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance - TomR

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC