> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > long beam span for trellis
Login | Register

long beam span for trellis

Posted by JP on April 12th, 2000 12:58 PM
In reply to As usual, Need more information... by Jim -ATS on April 11th, 2000 10:34 PM [Go to top of thread]

Sorry I wasn't more descriptive. Hope this will provide the detail you need to respond. I appreciate your effort & patience!
1. The trellis will be made of wood - preferably redwood, perhaps cedar.
2. I was envisioning 6"X6" posts at each corner as well as spaced every 2' on center. Originally, I figured every 4' on center, but my dh thinks that if lattice is attached overhead it will sag unless we use 2' wide lattice boards. So picture 6"X6" posts running down the 30' long sides. Now frankly, the more I think about this the less I like the idea. It would be better if he could put 6"X6" posts at the corners and perhaps have 2 or 3 more along each long side, then top these w/ a beam/header to which the 20' cross beams would be attached. I think that running posts all along would be both a pain in the back to set, plus might not look so good.
3. No snow. He lives in FL.
4. Generally it's not terribly windy, although he is about 1/4 mile from the beach & there's often a breeze. Once in a while they do get minor hurricaines (75 - 100 mph winds.)
5. I'd figured that he'd buy 10' posts and sink them about 2' into the ground and set them in concrete. He's over 6' tall, so I think that 8' would be enough clearance for doing tai chi exercises out there.

Another consideration is budget. The more he can do himself, vs. buy or contract out, the better (he's a "poor" school teacher.) Someone has suggested to me that my idea of laminating the boards to form the beams is serious overkill and that we only need to use 2"X12"X20' boards.

Thanks again.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC