> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Living in 1950
Login | Register

Living in 1950

Posted by Harold Kestenholz - Hydronic Network on December 5th, 2000 02:23 PM
In reply to help i got to much water. by RONALD on December 5th, 2000 11:50 AM [Go to top of thread]

In 1950, coal was King, natural gas heat had started in the eastern US cities, and oil was just beginning to be used for home heating. Coal was fairly cheap, but still a big expense.

You are living in fuel pre-history. If you are proud to spend three times more for fuel, then siding the house is a first priority. Unless you have gas logs in at least every other room, you are really living in just the rooms with the gas logs in the winter. Fifty years age, I had to live in uninsulated houses with a central coal stove or kerosene heaters until I learned the value of insulation.

I would use the thousand dollars per year saved on fuel for insulating the house; the savings pay for the insulation. Comfort and health will improve dramatically. The siding would make the house look new, but not warm the house.

The sweats would stop because the dew point of the surfaces would rise to prevent condensation. A warm house does not have these problems. Imagine a nice, warm bathroom.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC