> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Lightening stains
Login | Register

Lightening stains

Posted by Henry in MI on July 15th, 2000 08:28 PM
In reply to cabinets by Steve Jones on July 15th, 2000 01:47 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, Cheryl. Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with Steve on this. You can bleach stain and I like that better than removing wood with a sander. When you remove wood, the joints never look quite right again in my opinion. The process is to first strip off the clear finish, then try bleaching a small, hidden area with household bleach. If this does remove the color continue on all the surfaces and then neutralize with 1 cup of vinegar in a gallon of water and then rinse with pure water. Try to use damp rags or a sponge so you get as little water as possible on the wood.

If this does not remove the color, then try oxalic acid sold under the trade name Wood Bleach according to package directions. They will tell you how to neutralize and rinse.

One of these 2 methods will probably remove the old color. Then you can lightly sand, stain and clear coat. Don't forget to wear rubber gloves and eye protection when working with the chemicals.

Good luck
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC