> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Light switches
Login | Register

Light switches

Posted by Carrie on March 8th, 2002 07:31 PM

All right you all, I need help again!

I have two problems. I live in an older house. The light switches are real switches. What I mean is they click when you turn them on and off. I want to change them out just for looks. They are all a dark brown and I want either cream or white. Anyhoo, I can't get some of the switches out. The cover plate comes off fine. The screws are painted over so well, I can't seem to budge them. I tried banging the screw driver into the head of the screw to no avail. What do you suggest to help loosen the screws?

Second...what is the difference between the different amp switches? How do I find out what I need since I am replacing ancient fixtures that aren't marked with anything?

Third, I am having a time trying to figure out which wire goes where. On the old switches, the screws aren't color coded. I don't even have a ground wire. Also it is hard to tell which is black and which is white because the wire is I think cloth covered and since it is dirty from being in the wall, it is tough to tell which is which. Stupid quesiton, but does it matter?

My goodness! If you can answer all those questions, you all are good! Thanks again for your time! This board is a life (and money!) saver.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC