> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Leveling and Jacking - Unique Stemwall Construction
Login | Register

Leveling and Jacking - Unique Stemwall Construction

Posted by reid on July 15th, 1999 01:26 AM

We are attempting to re-level a residence. In doing so, we discovered that the floor joists that run under the first floor do not extend laterally beneath the exterior wall framing. The stem wall is notched, and supports the first floor and second floor at two different points. Jacking the floor joists under the first floor of the house will not lift the second floor and roof, since they are not connected (except via the subfloor - see below). Basically, the problem is that I can't get a jack under anything to get my vertical lift.

The exterior wall framing is attached to a sill plate which is bolted to the foundation stemwall, through the subfloor. Separately, the floor joists (first floor) are attached to a sill plate bolted into the same foundation stemwall, but in a notch located at a point approximately 10" lower. In other words, the stemwall has a maximum 8" width. It supports two loads at two different points - the exterior wall and roof load sits on a subfloor, sill plate and about 4" of stemwall, and the floor joists rest on a 2"x4" sill plate bolted to a (4") notch in the same stemwall approximately 10" below the top. So - the stemwall (max. 8" width) is 4" wide at the top, increased to 8" wide at approximately 10" below the top.

I can't get any lift on the house. Thanks for any suggestions or a reference.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC