> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Let Me Add ...
Login | Register

Let Me Add ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on September 10th, 2002 06:39 AM
In reply to Dumpster by doug seibert on September 10th, 2002 06:07 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Doug,

I understand your concern about the double-handling. I will add that this 'material' is considered non-friable. (And this means that) It is a material that doesn't pose its GREATEST (relative term) unless the fibers become airborne. And they USUALLY become airborne when the shingle is 'broken'. This is why (when you read the demolition procedures) you shouldn't just toss them around and such. They should be handled with care. So, IMHO, as long as they're handled w/care, the shingles can, first, be removed from the house, then second, moved to the dumpster. I, personally, stacked my on the driveway, then ordered the dumpster, then stacked them in the dumpster. My 30 yard dumpster had a walk-in door (which I recommend you get a dumpster w/a door like this if you can.)

My reading suggested wearing a mask that was rated for Asbestos Fibers, long sleeves, long pants, workboots, and 'thin' gloves.

Yes, I agree that a hazard exists but it can be managed. If a homeowner couldn't manage the hazard (as with friable, insulation-based asbestos where the house needs to be 'bagged'), then my local Municipality, my County Health Dept, my State EPA, and the Federal EPA would regulate its removal (like they do w/the aforementioned friable asbestos.)

Be careful out there. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC