> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ledger & vinyl siding
Login | Register

Ledger & vinyl siding

Posted by HH on May 9th, 2003 10:09 AM

Building a 37' wide first floor non-rectangular deck on the back of my vinly sided house. Deck starts at one outside corner cap passes through two inside corner caps, two outside corner caps and terminates at an inside corner cap. Ledger is 2x8, house rim joist is 2x12.

Two questions/opinions wanted:
- Is it best to completely remove a couple rows of vinyl siding & cut the intermediate caps completely off? Or only cut out the vinyl siding/caps when needed? Isn't the siding only really attached at the top/bottom of the house? If I cut out a 37' wide 8" section, removing caps, what's really holding the siding too my house? If I just remove the siding completely, don't I have to move the siding starter strip up and lock the siding into place? How do I then put the Z flashing underneath it (isn't the starter stip in the way). Ok that was one question ;-)
- In either case above, what's the best way to terminate the ledger sides. How should it be flashed (the sides not the top)? Should I leave a little section of siding between the cap and the ledger and crush a (very) small section of siding and caulk? Or can I remove the siding all the way to the cap and just flash it into the cap flashing? I'm only talking about the side of the ledger here, Z flashing on the top of the ledger is fine but how do you stop sideways penetration?

I'm leaning towards removing rows of siding completely. And removing it all the way to the caps. But I get myself in some bad situations ;-)

Hope that was semi understandable. Any recommendations appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC