> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ledger decisions
Login | Register

Ledger decisions

Posted by Steve: on May 5th, 2001 11:03 PM
In reply to Attaching a ledger board to concrete by Tracy on May 5th, 2001 09:57 PM [Go to top of thread]

Tracy, I am in an area that I specialize in. You need to do two things.

1) attach your ledger board with fasteners called Red Head Fasteners made for just this situation. You drill a 1/2 inch hole in the concrete and insert these fasteners. One end has the threaded bolt with a washer and a nut. the other end has a colar that expands when you torque down on the nut. These guys sell for about $1 each. I would put one every foot, one on top the next on bottom and so on and so on as to stagger the fasteners from top to bottom. It would not hurt to also load up some heavy construction liquid nails on the board also. I would also attach a roof edge metal piece to protect the wood from run off. I am assuming your using Treated wood or the likes.

2) then, the ledger will be your weakest link of the deck, so to take some stress off the ledger, I would place my first posts and beams one to two foot from the ledger board. This will allow the joists to hook up to the ledger board nicely and the close in beams will take the load of the decking.

I would do both projects.

Remember the worse thing you want on your deck is a bounce, so make sure your joists are either 16" or 24" OC, no more.

Also, on your ledger board, make sure you use the metal fasteners for your joists to attach to, DO NOT USE THE ARCHIAC TOE NAIL PROCEDURE.

good luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC